Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

MyCitations Public Notice:

Glenn County Superior Court to Offer Online Ability To Pay Tool For Infractions. For eligibility information, click here.
Request a fine reduction for your eligible infraction offense using the new MyCitations tool.

Self-Help FAQs

Frequently Asked Questions

Q: I wish to appeal my case. Is there a fee?

  • A: There is no fee for filing an appeal on a traffic, criminal or juvenile court case.

Q: What is the fee for filing an appeal on a civil Limited Jurisdiction case (formerly Municipal Court)?

Q: What is the fee for filing a small claims appeal?

Q: What is the fee for filing an appeal on a Superior Court case?

Q: Can the fees for filing an appeal be waived?

  • A: If you qualify for a fee waiver, you may get the fees waived, except for the fees required to pay for court reporter’s transcripts.

Q: Are forms provided for filing an appeal?

  • A: There are forms provided for filing small claims, traffic appeals, felonies, misdemeanors and juvenile, under Rule 39. All others must be self-drafted.

Q: Are there instructions available for filing an appeal?

  • A: Forms for filing an appeal may be obtained at the clerk’s office.

Q: Where can I get information about filing an appeal?

  • A: The rules on appeal are technical. It is helpful to have the advice of an attorney, but it is not required. The California Rules of Court control many of the details of an appeal to the Superior Court. These rules should be followed exactly and may be found in any law library.

Q: How long do I have to file my appeal?

  • A: On a decision of the Limited Jurisdiction Court, the notice of appeal must be filed within 30 days of the mailing of the notice of entry of judgment or 30 days from the sentencing. For a non-criminal case, if notice was never mailed or personally served, the appeal period is 90 days from the entry of judgment by the court. On a decision of the Unlimited Jurisdiction Court, the notice of appeal must be filed within 60 days of the mailing of the notice of entry of judgment or 60 days from the sentencing. For a non-criminal case, if notice was never mailed or personally served, the appeal period is 180 days from the entry of judgment by the court.

Q: Will I get a new hearing or trial and can I introduce new evidence and witnesses?

  • A: Except for small claims matters, appeals are an examination of the original hearing or trial by judges of the next higher court. No new evidence or witnesses can be introduced. If your appeal stems from a small claims matter you will have a new trial and you must present your evidence and any witnesses again.

Q: I was found guilty in a criminal case and have filed an appeal. Do I still have to comply with all of the terms of the court order or can I wait until my appeal has been decided?

  • A: The filing of an appeal does not stop the enforcement of the judgment. You must still comply with the terms of the court order, or request a stay of execution pending the outcome of the appeal.

Q: I'm the plaintiff in a small claims case and I lost my claim. May I appeal the court's decision?

  • A: The court's decision on your claim is final. You may not appeal your own claim.

Q: An attorney wasn't allowed to represent me at my small claims trial. Can I have an attorney represent me for the appeal?

  • A: Yes, you may be represented by an attorney at the appeal.

For answers to questions specific to individual appeals, you must contact the clerk's office.

Q: Where do I get my business license (Glenn County jurisdiction)?

Q: Where do I get my business license (City of Willow jurisdiction)?

  • A: These matters are handled by
    City Hall
    201 N. Lassen Lane
    Willows, CA 95988
    (530) 934-7041

Q: What is the fee for filing a civil case?

Q: What forms are required to file a complaint?

  • A: The Complaint, Summons, and Civil Case Cover Sheet are required at the time of initial filing.

Q: What is the fastest way for me to get the forms and are they available on the Internet?

  • A: Forms are available from the forms clerk at the clerk’s office. You can also request the forms by mailing a check plus a stamped self-addressed envelope to the clerk's office with a description of which forms you need. Forms can also be obtained at the AOC website or at this website by visiting the Local Forms section.

Q: How much do forms cost?

  • A: The cost is 10 cents per form plus tax, at the court.

Q: How must the defendant be served with my complaint?

  • A: The summons and complaint may be served by a Sheriff, Marshal, registered process server, or anyone over the age of 18 who is not a party to the action. The party performing the service must complete and sign a proof of service form. The original proof of service must be filed with the court before a judgment can be obtained against the defendant.

Q: How do I respond to a complaint?

  • A: If you have been served with a summons and complaint and want to respond, forms are available at the clerk's office. A five-day summons requires an immediate response. Be sure to the let the clerk know which type of summons and complaint has been served on you. Failure to file a response may lead to a judgment being entered against you. Download a printable civil filing and appearance fees list

Q: What is the fee for filing a motion?

Q: Does the court allow telephonic appearances and is there a form?

  • A: Contact the courts for specifics.

Q: Is my hearing still on calendar?

  • A: This information is not available over the Internet, you must contact the clerk's office.

Q: How do I file a petition for Change of Name?

  • A: Petition for Change of Name packets are available from the forms clerk with all the necessary forms and information included. Multiple family members may file in the same case. The filing fee is $214.00. Parties must publish a notice in a newspaper of general circulation for four weeks, the fee is determined by the newspaper.

Q: Where can I get legal help?

  • A: Brochures, which provide information on free or low cost legal assistance, are available in the clerks office.

Please direct your collection related questions to the Glenn County Collections Division at:

P.O. Box 994588
Redding, CA 96099-4588

Q: How did my name get selected for jury duty?

  • A: Jurors’ names are selected at random from DMV and Voter Registration. Be aware, if your name is for example “John Paul Jones on one list and “John P. Jones” on another list, the computer assumes you are two people, and you may receive a second notice. If you do receive another notice, please let us know.

Q: How long will my name be on the prospective jurors’ list?

  • A: Your name will remain on the county juror list for one fiscal year (July through June). You may be called at any time during that year. Glenn County has implemented the “One Day/One Trial!” system wherein once you have appeared in court as a juror, whether you are selected to sit on a jury panel or excused, you will not be called upon again that year. You can be called for jury duty every other year; however, this usually does not occur.

Q: Will I receive compensation for appearing as a juror?

  • A: All jurors who appear, whether selected to sit on a jury panel or excused, will receive $15 per day starting with the second day of service as juror fees plus round trip mileage at the rate as authorized by the Internal Revenue Service. You are entitled to mileage to the courthouse for the first day of service. If you are excused on the first day, you may obtain your mileage from the Clerk’s Office. The fee must be collected on the day of service or will be deemed waived. You can obtain a juror attendance verification for your employer from the Clerk’s Office. If you are a government employee (federal, state, county, and city), you will need to obtain a verification form for each day you are present. Your employer will pay your day’s wages when you give them your jury payment and verification form. Juror payroll is processed at the completion of the trial. Your check should arrive in approximately two weeks.

Q: What if I wish to be deferred due to a hardship?

  • A: On the day you are summoned, the judge will inform the group of the expected length of the trial. If the length of the trial will cause a hardship due to a prior commitment or for financial reasons, you may ask the judge to be excused. Your request will be granted or denied at the judge’s discretion.

Q: Does the court have any assistive listening devices if I have a hard time hearing?

  • A: Each courtroom is equipped with a Assisted Listening Devices-(ALD). The wireless receivers will allow a person to sit anywhere in the courtroom and hear the proceedings. They may be used by persons who do or do not have hearing aids. Should you wish to use this assisted listening device, please advise the court attendant or bailiff.

Q: I just realized I did not return the paperwork within 5 days. Am I going to be fined?

  • A: No. If you are asking to be postponed or excused, return the paperwork as soon as possible. If you are going to serve within the next week, bring your paperwork in on the day you report. Otherwise, mail it now so that we can process it.

Q: A Summons/Juror Questionnaire was sent to my old address. I don't live there anymore. What should I do?

  • A: Contact the clerk’s office at the courthouse.

Q: What happens if I can't report on that day because I have been called for a doctor’s appointment?

  • A: Contact the jury clerk at the courthouse.

Q: I am not a Citizen of the United States. Why did I receive a Jury Summons?

  • A: Anyone who possesses a California Driver License or Identification Card can receive a summons. Jury Summonses are sent out at random from a list of registered California residents provided to us by the DMV. If you are not a citizen, please fill out the affidavit explaining this and mail it back to us in the envelope provided. When we receive your paperwork, we will excuse you from your summons.

Q: What time are the jurors supposed to report?

  • A: 8:30 a.m.

Q: Is there a maximum age limit?

  • A: There is no maximum age limit. If you are physically or mentally capable, then we would ask that you come in. If you do not feel capable you may be excused if you are over 70 years of age.

Q: How do I change my court date?

  • A: Contact your attorney. If you do not have an attorney, contact the Public Defender's office.

Q: How do I go about having my juvenile case sealed?

  • A: The form, Petition to Seal Juvenile Record, may be obtained from the clerk's office of the court. Juvenile cases are confidential and information is not given over the phone. In order to obtain confidential information you must be a party to the case and show photo identification at the clerk’s counter when making your request. Download a printable civil filing and appearance fees list

Q: Where do I obtain a marriage license?

  • Glenn County Recorder’s Office
    526 W. Sycamore
    Willows, CA 95988

Q: Where do I schedule a wedding ceremony?

  • A: Call the court administration office at (530) 934-6382

Q: What happens if we can’t agree on everything in mediation?

  • A: After mediation, the next steps will differ from court to court. In some courts, the next step would be a meeting with your attorney (if you have one); in others you would proceed to a hearing before a judge. In some courts, the mediator is asked to make a recommendation to the court about what is best for the children. The judge considers this recommendation and may or may not follow it. Ask your mediator how it works in your court. Please remember that no matter how sensitive or understanding a judge or commissioner may be, that person does not know your children the way you do. Therefore, coming to your own agreement instead of going to court can often be best for everyone.

Q: If I have a lawyer, will my lawyer have a chance to look at my agreement before I go to court?

  • A: Yes. All lawyers should review your agreement before you go before the judge.

Q: Can children or relatives be involved in a mediation?

  • A: Whether children or relatives can be involved in mediation depends on the situation. If you think there is a reason for your children or a person close to you to be in mediation, tell your mediator.

Q: What are the mediator’s qualifications?

  • A: Before someone can be considered as a court mediator, he or she is required by California law to have (1) a master’s degree in counseling, social work, or a related field; and (2) a minimum of two years’ work experience in the mental health arena before coming to the court. Additional education may be substituted or some experience and additional experience may be substituted for some education. Most mediators, however, have many more years of experience and are also licensed clinical social workers, marriage and family therapists, or psychologists. Court mediators also receive between 16 and 26 hours of continuing education each year.

Q: How long will the mediation take?

  • A: For many people, one or two sessions are enough.

Q: Where do I pay my property taxes?

  • Glenn County Treasurer’s Office
    516 Sycamore
    Willows, CA 95988

Q: What types of cases are handled by the Court?

  • A: The Court is responsible for civil, family law (divorce, legal separation, and child custody matters), probate, small claims, criminal (both felony and misdemeanors), and traffic. The Court also handles confidential categories, such as juvenile, paternity, adoption, and mental health.

Q: How do I look up a case? Do I need to know the case number?

Q: How far back does the court search?

  • A: Some superior court records are kept from 1873 to present. Limited jurisdiction records are searched back seven (7) years.

Q: Do I need to come in to get this information?

  • A: You may request this information through the mail. Include the name you want searched, the type of case involved, and the approximate date of the case. Also include the search fee and any copy fees, and a self addressed envelope. If you are not sure of the number of pages that you will need copies of, you can send in a check and write "check not to exceed $20.00," and we will fill in the exact amount. Please allow five (5) working days for the search to be completed. Download a printable civil filing and appearance fees list

Q: What if I want copies?

  • A: If you need your copies certified, there is an additional fee. Authentications (exemplifications) will be issued for a fee in addition to copying and comparing fees. Copies in excess of 20 pages require five (5) working days for completion. Download a printable civil filing and appearance fees list

Q: How may I pay for services?

  • A: Services may be paid in cash, check, and money order.

Q: Is there a waiting period to view case files?

  • A: A portion of our cases is kept at an offsite storage facility. Some of these cases are available on microfilm. For cases kept at offsite, there is a two day waiting period. For cases kept in the Records office, there is no waiting period unless the case is in one of the courtrooms.

Q: Are all cases public record?

  • A: Certain case categories are not for public inspection, such as adoption, paternity, juvenile, and mental health. Other categories, unless ordered sealed, are open for public inspection. There might be instances where certain documents are not for public view, such as police reports. The clerk will be able to answer any specific questions you may have regarding confidential cases and documents.

Q: How much can I sue for in Small Claims court?

  • A: The maximum amount you can sue for up to $7,500 You cannot file more than two claims for more than $2,500.00 each during a calendar year.

Q: May I sue for the recovery of property?

  • A: Small claims are for the recovery of money only.

Q: How do I file a claim?

  • A: You may either come directly to the clerk’s office to fill out the appropriate paperwork or have the paperwork mailed to you by sending in your request along with a self-addressed stamped envelope.

Q: How old do I have to be to file a claim:

  • A: You must be at least 18 years of age to file a claim. If you are not yet 18, you may ask the court to appoint a guardian.

Q: How much does it cost to file a claim?

Q: Do my forms have to be typed?

  • A: No.The court will accept legible hand written forms.

Q: May I fax my small claims documents?

  • A: Current legislation does not allow for fax filings in small claims.

Q: Is this the proper court to hear my case?

  • A: The plaintiff must file their claim in the proper court and geographical location. This rule is called venue. Below are possible reasons for filing a claim in this court:
    1. A defendant lives in this judicial district or a defendant corporation or unincorporated association has its principal place of business in this judicial district.
    2. A person was injured or personal property was damaged in this judicial district.
    3. A defendant signed or entered into a contract in this judicial district, a defendant lived in this judicial district when the contract was entered into, a contract or obligation was to be performed in this judicial district, or, if the defendant was a corporation, the contract was breached in this judicial district.

Q: How do I go about serving the defendant(s) with their notice of the claim?

  • A: The defendant must be served with a copy of the claim 10 days prior to the hearing date if they live in the county and 15 days prior if they live outside the county. The types of service are:
    • Certified Mail - Service by certified mail must be done by the clerk's office. The fee is $7.00 per defendant being served. You will need to check with the court prior to the hearing to see if the receipt for certified mail was returned to the court.
    • Service by law officer - You may have the Sheriff serve the defendant for a fee
    • Personal service or process server - Anyone over 18 years of age, not a party to the case, may serve the defendant. The person serving must complete and sign a proof of service form showing when the defendant was served. This form must be filed with the court 5 days prior to the hearing date.

Q: May I be represented by an attorney at the trial?

  • A: No, neither side may be represent by an attorney at trial. However, attorneys may represent either side if an appeal is filed or in connection with the enforcement of a judgment.

Q: May I get a continuance on my court date?

  • A: In order to request a continuance you must write a letter to the court indicating why the continuance is being requested and include a $15.00 processing fee. You are also required to mail a copy of the letter to the other parties on the case. If the request is received by the court within 5 days of the court date the request will be attached to the court case to be considered by the judge at the time of trial. If the request is received more than 5 days prior to the court date you will be notified of the judge's decision by mail.

Q: Has the certified mail been returned as served on my case?

  • A: Each case is handled on an individual basis. You will need to contact the clerk's office within 5 days prior to the court date to verify whether or not the defendant(s) was served in your case

Q: My case has settled but there is still a court date scheduled, what do I do?

  • A: The plaintiff must file a request for dismissal with the court. If the claim was satisfied with payment by check, the plaintiff may want to wait until the check has cleared the bank before filing the dismissal.

Q: My case was taken under submission. Has a ruling been entered?

  • A: The judge has up to 90 days to make a ruling on a case that has been taken under submission. Notice of the ruling will be mailed to you when a decision has been made.

Q: I won my case, how do I collect the judgment?

  • A: You must pursue the collection of the judgment. The court offers forms that you may fill out for enforcement of a judgment. If you do not have information regarding the judgment debtor’s income or property, you may make the debtor come to court to answer questions. This is done by filing an Order of Examination. There is a filing fee. Once you have the financial information needed, you may file a "Writ of Execution". There is a fee for issuance of a Writ of Execution. A Writ of Execution is a court paper, which tells a law officer to take property of the judgment debtor to pay your claim. The kinds of property an officer may be able to take: wages, bank accounts, automobiles, and business property or rental income. The Sheriff will charge a fee to execute the writ. If the debtor owns property you may want to record an abstract to place a lien so that you will be able to be paid if the property is purchased, sold or financed. There is an issuance fee. The abstract is recorded with the County Recorder in the county where the property is located. The Recorder will charge a fee to have the abstract recorded. Download a printable civil filing and appearance fees list

Q: I won my small claims case and the judgment debtor has paid me in full. Is there anyone I should notify?

  • A: After full payment of the judgment is made, the judgment creditor must immediately file with the court an acknowledgment of satisfaction of the judgment. The judgment creditor may be liable for damages if satisfaction of judgment is not filed with the court in a timely manner.

Q: I failed to appear at my small claims trial and now there is a judgment against me. Is there anything I can do?

  • A: You may ask the court to vacate the judgment. To make this request you must file a motion to vacate the judgment within 30 days after the date the Notice of Entry of Judgment was mailed to you. If your request is denied, you then have 10 days from the date the notice of denial was mailed to file an appeal.

Q: How can I get an extension?

  • A: If eligible, individuals receiving a moving violation have approximately 4 months from the violation date to complete Traffic School. Accordingly, no extensions will be granted by the clerks.

Q: How do I know if I am eligible for traffic school?

  • A: The courtesy notice sent to you by the court will indicate if you are eligible for traffic school. You are eligible for traffic school if you have not attended traffic school within the last 18 months. If there are any correctable violations on your citation, these corrections must be received along with any fees before you will be approved to attend traffic school. Your citation must not be for more than two moving violations that do not require a mandatory appearance, or not more than two moving violations plus a seat belt violation. Please carefully read your courtesy notice in its entirety. You may attend a traffic school in person or by computer. Click here for a list of on-line traffic schools approved by DMV.

Q: By completing traffic school, will the ticket be taken off my driving record?

  • A: No, the violation remains on your driving record with the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV). The court clerk reports to the DMV that you have attended traffic school. The DMV will suppress this information from your insurance company.

Q: What do I do if I receive a Notice to Appear "fix-it" ticket? How do I show proof of correction?

  • A: When a violation is eligible for correction, the "yes" box is checked in the "Correctable Violation (Veh. Code, § 40610)" portion of your Notice to Appear. Upon correction of the violation, have a law enforcement officer or an authorized inspection/installation station agent sign the reverse of your ticket in the "Certificate of Correction" section. Registration and driver's license violations may also be corrected at an office of the California DMV by any clerk or deputy of a court. The violation will be dismissed by the court after proof of correction and payment of transaction fee are presented to the court by mail or in person by the appearance date.

Q: What if I disagree with the ticket the officer wrote, what can I do?

  • A: You have three options available to you, if the citation is an infraction that does not require a mandatory court appearance:
    1. You can post the bail amount and request a trial by written declaration. The trial by written declaration form is available in the clerk’s office or you may request a form be mailed to you. The trial by declaration is a method of contesting your case without making a court appearance. You and the officer will each submit a written statement of the facts of the case. A judge or commissioner will review the declarations and make a decision on the case.

    2. You can request a court trial by mail or in person. The clerk's office must receive a completed "Written Not Guilty Plea" form. You will be required to post the total amount of bail owed on your case if you are requesting a court trial by mail. Contact the clerk's office to have a Written Not Guilty Plea form mailed to you.

Q:What happens if I am issued a traffic citation and I do not appear?

  • A: By signing the traffic citation you have given your promise that you will appear. However, most tickets can be taken care of without appearing in court merely by paying the bail amount due on or before your court appearance date. By paying the bail amount without appearing in court, you will be convicted of the violation and the violation may appear on your record at the DMV. A point may be charged to your DMV record (depending on the violation) and your insurance may be adversely affected.

    If you fail to pay the bail or appear in court, you may be charged with a failure to appear. You may be arrested and punished by six months in jail and/or a $1,000 fine regardless of the disposition of the original charge (Veh. Code, § 40508). In addition, any person who fails to appear as provided may be deemed to have elected a trial by written declaration (in absentia) pursuant to Vehicle Code section 40903(a) upon any alleged infraction, as charged by the arresting/citing officer. Your driver's license may be withheld, suspended, or revoked. In some courts, you may be charged an amount in addition to the bail amount and the case may be turned over to a collection agency (Pen. Code, § 1214.1).

Q: Can I make payments on my ticket?

  • A: Yes. The clerk's office has the authority to set up payments. You will be assessed an administrative fee for this service. You will be required to sign a contract agreeing to the payment schedule. This is the same arrangement that will be received by an individual who is placed on calendar to request payments. The clerk's office will be able to quickly process your case for payments without the need to spend the entire afternoon in court to achieve the same result. Download a printable civil filing and appearance fees list

Was this helpful?

This question is for testing whether or not you are a human visitor and to prevent automated spam submissions.