Skip to main content
Skip to main content.

Juvenile Court

Juvenile Cases

Juvenile Delinquency

These cases involve children who have committed law violations that would be considered crimes if committed by an adult.

Juvenile Dependency

These are cases that concern family situations where allegations of abuse or neglect have been made and the juvenile court intervenes to protect the family’s children.

The Court’s Authority

The juvenile court has broad authority in juvenile delinquency and dependency cases. It can remove children from their homes, order their placement with relatives or in foster care or group homes, terminate parental rights, create new parental rights, and join various agencies to provide needed services. In delinquency cases, the juvenile court can also order children to be confined in locked facilities, including the California Youth Authority.

Whenever the court decides to remove a child from his or her home, placement and responsibility for that child is given to a governmental agency. It can also order services to be provided that will allow children to remain in their homes safely. In delinquency and status offense cases, that agency is the probation department; in dependency (abuse and neglect) cases, the agency is the county welfare department. The agency is responsible for meeting the health and educational needs of the child, as well as providing the care, treatment, and guidance the child may need.

Legal Help

Because these decisions are so serious and affect fundamental rights, it is very important that, if a juvenile case involves you or your child, you consult an attorney who can advise you more specifically about the court process as it relates to your case.

Your Right to an Attorney

The child in a delinquency case has a right to an attorney; a parent in a dependency (abuse and neglect) case has a right to an attorney; and the court must appoint an attorney for the child in an abuse and neglect case unless the court finds the child would not benefit from the appointment.

Visit our FAQ page for more information.

Was this helpful?